Now hiring: Bookkeeping/payroll manager
We are seeking a bookkeeping/payroll manager to join our team.
We are a Montreal based company operating stores under the names Empire Exchange and Annex Vintage. Our first store opened in 2009 blending new products and vintage/second hand clothing, with a popular buy/sell/trade program for clothing and accessories.
The candidate would ideally be located in Montreal QC, but remote working is also a possibility.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in bookkeeping or accounting, experience with Quickbooks and payroll management, and enjoy working within a creative non-traditional work environment.
The bookkeeping/payroll manager will be responsible for maintaining our bookkeeping and cash flow systems, preparing quarterly reports, reconciling accounts, processing our weekly payroll, as well as issuing all payroll documentation.
This is an excellent opportunity to work as part of a small team and directly with the company director. You will be exposed to a large range of accounting, tax, controller, and bookkeeping tasks.
Ideally, the right candidate will:
- Have a minimum 2 years related bookkeeping/accounting experience.
- Detailed knowledge of QuickBooks required
- Proficient in Excel, Google sheets.
- Possess strong bookkeeping and accounting skills, able to troubleshoot and improve our accounting systems as needed.
- Enjoy problem-solving, not put off by repeated/detailed work.
- Experience with month-end, year-end accounting processes and corporate tax an asset.
- Familiarity with CNESST regulation and payroll management software (ideally Ceridian) an asset.
- Great communication skills.
- Bilingual (English and French, written and oral).
- Highly organized in task management and record keeping.
- Confident in meeting deadlines and prioritizing workload.
- Innovative with out of the box solutions.
- Able to work collaboratively with team members and oversee other’s work.
- Passionate about small business and excited to work in a creative, community oriented environment.
- QuickBooks billing and expense entries.
- QuickBooks journal entries, for monthly/quarterly/year end.
- Preparing quarterly tax filing.
- In collaboration with store managers, oversee reconciliation of company cash on-hand (petty cash, tills etc.).
- Oversee others work where overlaps.
- Assist with budget preparation and forecasting.
- Assisting outside accounting firm with year end tax filing and other reports.
- Overseeing financial record keeping of the company.
- Management of accounts payable and select payment accounts.
- Oversee company payroll system.
- Completing bi-weekly payroll and preparing any required payroll documentation (ROE's, year end tax slips, year end reporting etc).
- Ensuring compliance with provincial/federal payroll regulations/standards.
- Management of vacation pay and paid sick leave systems.
- Work in collaboration with store managers, to ensure the smooth financial operations of the store.
What you will get:
- Experience working within retail/fashion/vintage business.
- Positive, creative work environment.
- Opportunity to work remote and/or office hybrid.
- Staff price (-25%) at Annex Vintage and Empire Exchange.
- Paid time off.
- A competitive salary, the salary range for this role is 25$-32$ an hour based on experience.
Note: We are alternately open to hiring two co-work positions or part-time positions (data entry clerk and accounting/payroll manager) hours to be determined based on experience, interest and availability.
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] by October 1st, 2023.